Travel and PLAY with Soccer Women in the Lofoten Islands and major cities in Norway. We organize a fantastic and breathtaking adventure with global impact guided by the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. Scroll down to learn more about the 2020 trip itinerary and our 2018 trip.
Sample Itinerary Summer 2020:
- Day 01 – Depart from your local airport.
- Day 02 – Arrive Oslo Airport. Check in to Oslo hotel to get settled. Tour Oslo.
- Day 03 – Day in Oslo and local stadium tour/training session.
- Day 04 – Flight from Oslo to Svolvaer. Charter bus to Henningsvaer. Check in to Henningsvaer hotel/cabins. Walking tour of Henningsvaer. Warm-up practice at the famous Henningsvaer field.
- Day 05 – Activities around Lofoten. Friendly match against local recreational women players.
- Day 06 – Morning drive to Reine. Tour and activities in Reine.
- Day 07 – Tour and activities in Reine. Kick-around with local community members on the Reine soccer field.
- Day 08 – Ferry from Moskenes to Bodo. Flight from Bodo to Bergen, Trondheim or Oslo.
- Day 09 – Bergen Flam Railway tour or day in Trondheim or Oslo.
- Day 10 – Depart Oslo to US home airports.
We will play friendly age 30+ games at Henningsvaer Stadium in the Lofoten Islands. The itinerary is flexible for the group that attends. We make the arrangements for the hotels/fisherman’s cabins, private bus transportation, flights to/from Lofoten, soccer games, and help to select and reserve activities such as kayaking, boat fjord tours, fishing, biking, surfing horseback riding and hiking. Drone, video and still photography will be provided by Lofoten Photographer Ole Johan Wiik of Lofokus.
Group size may be limited to between 10 and 16. Questions? Contact Brandi using the form or by email to “SanDiegoSoccerWomen@gmail.com.”
Expected Trip Cost: $2,000 plus airfare to/from Oslo
- Airfare to/from Oslo will depend on where you are located and when you purchase. We can help you figure out the best deal and times, and coordinate flights together, but you will pay the cost directly to the airline.
- The $2,000 group costs includes:
- Private bus transportation throughout the trip. (We will ALSO be within walking distance to additional transportation for independent touring, as desired. No car rental is needed. )
- Flight between Oslo and Lofoten Islands.
- Ferry and train travel, if on the itinerary.
- All accommodations. (Last year we stayed in Nordic Choice Hotels in Oslo with 2 women per room. The famous fishermen’s cabins in Henningsvaer were full apartments with multiple beds, kitchens and outdoor areas.)
- Drone/still photography while in Lofoten.
- Team jerseys.
- A group restaurant night with local women players.
- Team gift exchange with opponents.
- All soccer events.
- Daily food is up to you but last year we did get at least one meal included with hotel stays.
- We are super-flexible with what you need since we are a small group and want each person to get the most out of the experience!
- Our squad last year benefited from some easy fundraising and sponsorship. We will do that again this year to offset costs!
In July 2018, a squad of recreational women’s soccer players – ranging in age from 41 to 77 – traveled on a nine-day trip to Norway.
The San Diego Soccer Women team accepted an invitation to play friendly matches at the famous Henningsvaer Stadium in Lofoten Islands and at an exhibition event at Norway Cup in Oslo. The squad will meet with Norwegian government officials and United Nations representatives. As local ambassadors for the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), #GlobalGoalsLocalLeaders, the nineteen athletes chose to highlight and raise awareness for three of the seventeen SDGs during their travel.
- GOAL 3 | Good Health and Well-Being The physical, emotional and mental benefits of exercise
- GOAL 5 | Gender Equality Equitable opportunities for women and girls worldwide
- GOAL 10 | Reduced Inequalities Discrimination based on age, abilities, gender, marital and parental status, or sexual orientation.
Locally-supported by the United Nations Association of San Diego (UNA USA San Diego) for this initiative, the San Diego Soccer Women organization promotes soccer for age 30+ women year-round. Future participation is planned in the Global Goals World Cup in September 2018 and at Global Goals advocacy events during the 2019 Women’s World Cup in France. Follow the journey on their social media channels. The UNA USA San Diego, as well as FIFA, Girls Soccer Network and Goal Five broadcasted updates on social media.
As local partners with the San Diego Chapter of the United Nations, the team played for worldwide gender equality, health and wellness and inclusion.